Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

ANOTHER WORD FOR WORD



He does what he must do and he does it well. His songs are homeopathic medicine for me.

homeopathy, n. the method of treating disease by drugs, given in minute doses, which would produce in a healthy person symptoms similar to those of the disease.

homeo-,
similar, like.

-pathy,
suffering, feeling, ...often used with the meaning "morbid affection."

(from THE RANDOM HOUSE DICTIONARY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, THE UNABRIDGED EDITION, 1981)

When I took a look at the lyrics for "Buckets of Rain" in my copy of BOB DYLAN: LYRICS 1962-2001, I noticed that this is yet another song for which the lyrics have been changed from the original recording. You is changed to I, and I is changed to you in the first verse. Hips is changed to lips in the third verse. Then it occurred to me that I was almost sure that Bob Dylan had written something previous to 1962. Sure enough, on the page facing "Talking New York" (1962) are handwritten lyrics to a song he wrote previous to 1962 and titled Big City Blues.

"Buckets of Rain" ends with another of Dr. Bob's koans:

Can't you tell?

And from South Korea?:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive