Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Spectral Light and Ukelele

















This particular configuration of spectral light only happens one day of the year. Because of the winter cloud cover in coastal Northwest Washington, many years can pass with no sunlight coming through the prism on my windowsill on February 3.

This year I noticed the light just as I was going to sit down to take an on-line test that might lead to an end to my long stretch of unemployment and would allow me to work from home and set my own work schedule.

Although I had been screened by the job recruiter before being allowed to take the test, the computer program written for the test determined that I was ineligible for the job for reasons that the recruiter had determined were not a problem. Although I have 20 years of experience as a medical transcriptionist, the computer program told me to come back when I had more experience. My hopes aren't dashed yet, but this may be a door that isn't going to open for me. I emailed the job recruiter for clarification.

Perseverance furthers.

I opened the I-Ching at random and found this:

THE JUDGEMENT
The Abysmal repeated.
If you are sincere, you have success in your heart,
And whatever you do succeeds.

And then I remembered:

She knows there's no success like failure
And that failure's no success at all.
(from "Love Minus Zero/No Limit," Bob Dylan, 1965)

Listen.

Then at 2:30 p.m. I received an email from the job recruiter requesting me to go through the computer log-in and sign-up process again and to answer "yes" to the question about recent experience (even though I don't have any) so that I can take the test ...

It's 7 p.m. now. I just finished the 4-part assessment after encountering bewildering technical difficulties requiring multiple phone calls for technical support. Finally, I decided to switch from my PC to my MacBook and had no problems after that.

I'll hear back in 3-5 business days whether they are still interested in hiring me. Whether they are interested in hiring me or not, I know now that I can do anything I set my mind to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive